Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Running to the sun




I decided I wanted to go for a run on the beach.  I checked the tide chart, perfect low tide at 6:00pm.  Time to go home, take the dog out, change clothes and drive to the beach access.  So that is just what I did.  I got there and the weather was perfect, sunny and clear, a tiny breeze and about 65 degrees.  I decided that I wasn't gonna go crazy because I hadn't run on the beach since last summer.  I alternated between a faster run than normal and walking.  I did this for a while it was so beautiful that I didn't really want to stop, so kept going.  As I ran I realized I had never been to the end of the island and wondered how long it was to the point of the island.  I was running directly into the most beautiful sunset.  I wanted to see the setting sun over the water.  SO I continued to run and run and run.  When I finally reached the end of my little stretch of land I was beginning to become tired, no wonder I had just gone 2.77 miles on sand.  I wanted to stay and watch the sun set over Bear Island but I knew I had to go. It was so beautiful, and very much worth the push to the to the sun. I knew though, it would soon be dark and knew the parking lot closed at dark.  In fear of being locked up in the beach parking lot, I turned around and began my long and tiring race against the setting sun back to my car.  So although I was tired I knew I to hurry back to make sure I didn't get locked up.  By the time I got back to the car I was so tired and very unsure if what I had done was smart or not. 
The next day when I woke up I decided it was a good idea.  I was a little sore but not hurt like I was afraid.  My run to the sun was so worth the rain I felt at that moment and the push I had to make to get back before dark.  My next run was faster because of it too.

No comments: